Leak Detection – Pipelines
Pipelines have played an intricate role in transporting materials for the past 100 years. It is estimated that 3,500,000 km of pipeline operate within 120 countries around the world. The pipeline industry continues to make improvements for safely transporting their goods and materials. Advancements in technology have assisted with mitigation against potential pipeline leaks and tampering.
Video allows for complete visibility of a specific area but has limitations with detecting disruptions underground and in completely isolated regions. Fiber Optics provides a number of benefits along the pipeline route:
- Data Communications – potentially eliminate satellite, microwave or cellular
- Broadband to rural areas
- Permanent Monitoring System
- Leak is located within meters of the fracture
- Reduction in costly inspection programs
- Improved Asset Reliability
Contact a Rigstar representative to learn more about retro-fitting an existing pipeline or legacy system.